Skip to Main Content
- HillSearch is the MacPhaidin Library's catalog, where you can find all of the items that we own and information about them
- This includes the basic item information (title, author, edition), call numbers, availability statuses, and whether an item is on reserve
- HillSearch defaults to a keyword search. To search, type in the information that you have (whether that be title, keyword, author, etc.) and hit Enter
- Once you get your list of results, you can narrow your results with the "Refine By" column on the left hand side of the screen
- You can also limit your results more by doing an Advanced Search, which you can toggle to on the main page of HillSearch or when you're already in a search result list.
- To use Advanced Search, click on the "Advanced Search" button below the search bar
- Here, you can limit your search by a full title, subject, author, or subject
- You can add multiple limits to your search, including in the "Library Catalog" section where you can limit by format, location, language, and publication years
Status & Location
- Each catalog record will have a status for the item and a location
- In the listed results before clicking into an item's record, you will see at the bottom of the listing both the status and location - it will look something like this:
- For a book or another item with a call number, this is where you will find its availability status (Available), its location (Main Stacks - MacPhaidin), and its exact call number.
- If an item is on reserve, its catalog listing will look like this:
- You can see here that this item's location is in our reserve collection (2-hour reserve) and there is a button at the bottom of the listing that says "Course Reserves"
- If you click this button, you will be brought directly to the portion of the catalog listing with the reserve information. That looks like this: